I meant to write this yesterday, but I got caught up doing other stuff and ran out of time before I had to work. Anyway, I just wanted to make a quick post about hunger in ketosis.
Here’s one of the benefits about this diet, or “lifestyle” as it should be called (because you don’t wanna go back to carbs after doing this):
Your hunger disappears.
That’s right…when you do keto, your hunger pretty much goes away. I think a lot of people confuse hunger with cravings, and it’s hard to distinguish the difference when that’s all you know. Actual hunger when you’re in ketosis is something like this:
- You get a slight rumble in your stomach.
- You realize you still have a few hours before you’re actually hungry, if you even get hungry.
- You have time to plan what you’re gonna eat, or at least have options nearby.
- You eat, and you’re good for another 4 hours or possibly the rest of the day.
- You continue whatever you were doing without distraction.
(Note that as I’m writing this, I’ve only eaten once today, I’m not even close to being hungry, and I probably won’t eat again for another 5-6 hours.)
When you’re eating a diet high in carbs, on the other hand, the process goes a little more like this:
- You’re hungry randomly for no reason.
- You need to eat something, anything, RIGHT NOW.
- You don’t have time to microwave anything or your stomach will literally eat itself.
- You eat the most readily available food you can find, which is usually in the form of junk food (chips, candy, doughnuts, pastries, cereal, cookies, etc).
- You’re “full” for an hour or two (more like bloated), and then that familiar “hunger” comes back.
I’ll take keto hunger over carb hunger any day. The silly cravings go away, you can walk by your favorite dessert and not blink twice, you can move on with your day without having to schedule around food, and you don’t have energy crashes. I’m not a scientist, nor do I claim to be some kind of expert or guru, but this is what I’ve personally experienced myself. Feel free to add any input below with your experiences on keto.
P.S. My KetoStix are pink. I was gonna post a pic, but then I realized that’s kinda gross.